What is a CMS?
A Content Management System (CMS) is a web site application that enables web site owners to create, add, edit and manage web site text and images on their web site, at any time from any internet connection, without technical training. Content is created and edited online, at any time, via a password-protected administration control panel which only the client has access to. The resulting content is then displayed in real time on the web site.
Why should I use a CMS?
There are several possible reasons for using a Content Management System, but the main reason for using a CMS is to make creating and editing of content simple and easy, if frequent changes are required. Red Rhino offers an ongoing site maintenance programme for small sites where the content doesn’t change often, but many clients prefer to have the ability to update their site at any time.
Content doesn’t just include text and images, however. Sometimes the client will have a particular need which requires more than simple text or image updates. The trick is to find the CMS that provides the functionality without sacrificing ease of use for the client.
Key features of a Content Management System
Any Content Management System we recommend will have the following benefits & features;
- Very easy to use with user-friendly interface - just ‘Point and Click.’
- Make updates anytime, anywhere – login through a browser and you can update the content from anywhere.
- Uses a powerful online WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) text editor (similar to MS Word) to permit text formatting which includes undo, redo, cut, copy, paste, links, add images and much more.
- You will be able to manage site content while the overall design ‘template’ remains protected.
- No technical or programming skills are required.
- Powerful link manager – point and click to create links to other pages on your website or to external sites.
Having investigated and evaluated all of the most popular and appropriate CMS software packages available and based on the information provided, we will use the best CMS option for your new web site.
Choosing a CMS solution also saves months of development time which would otherwise have been spent designing and developing a bespoke solution.
The CMS used will be easy to use and will be one of the most extensible content management systems available in the industry today. It will offer the potential to add unlimited content and its hierarchal structure keeps the content organised and easy to search and find. New functionality can be implemented easily and rapidly so your site stays fresh and current with the latest web tools and techniques. There are hundreds and hundreds of different CMS design themes available and this gives great flexibility with regards to customising your site.
One of the biggest benefits of using a CMS is that it is “extendable,” which means we (on your behalf) can choose from thousands of commercial and non-commercial extensions that “plug-in” to enhance the appearance, expand the power and maximize the results of your web site.
The CMS will also be set-up to include a global site search facility.
Web Accessibility refers to the inclusive practice of making websites usable by people of all abilities and disabilities. Making a web site accessible can be simple or complex, depending on many factors such as the type of content, the size and complexity of the site, and the development tools and environment. In all CMS projects, where possible and practical, we specify CMS software to comply with, at least, WAI 1.0 Priority 1 requirements.
Do I need any special training to manage a CMS ?
If you have experience with Microsoft Word, then you will be able to manage the content of your own web site very easily. However, we offer CMS training as an option, if deemed appropriate.
Do I need any special programs to manage a CMS ?
You do not need to have any programming or web design experience to manage a CMS. Editing can be done with any normal web browser from anywhere in the world or even with your smartphone.
Only need to update one page ?
If a client does not need the ability to update all pages on the site, we can integrate a ‘Page Editor’ which means that a single page (or small number of pages) can be edited online, at any time, without the need to install a full CMS. This ’Page Editor’ is very simple to use and will keep costs down if a full-blown, site-wide CMS is not essential.
CMS Support & Maintenance : Service Level
Red Rhino understands that a rapid response to a request for technical support, even when you operate a CMS, can be critical to your site’s operation.
- We aim to process and complete 95% of all urgent client service related contacts within one hour and 100% within the same day, 7 days a week.
- For minor, non-critical web site queries, we aim to process and complete 75% of all requests within the same day and 100% within 48 hours.
- If the work requested involves more than can be completed that day, we will still acknowledge 100% of all emails within the same day with a suggested time schedule for the work requested.
- Major non-critical site changes or developments are scheduled and agreed depending on their urgency.
Our Support & Maintenance Programme also includes daily backups of your entire site to a secondary dedicated server situated in another data-center, which we manage solely for off-network backups. A second backup copy of all CMS database files is also backed up to a separate drive on the web server.
Contact us if you are interested in a having a web site designed, with integrated CMS or Page Editor.
Back to Web Site Design & Development